Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The official start of my journey...

I received news that was exciting!!! I am going aboard with Heifer International at their Overlook Ranch operation in Rutland, Massachusetts as a livestock assistant. I do not have the greatest amount of experience in large animal however I am will (and would love) to learn. The livestock coordinator explained that tasks would include everything from working with livestock on various herd health tasks to mending fences and driving tractors. The experience I have strictly pertains to veterinary care, which involves deworming protocols, vaccinations, TB testing, etc. To have the opportunity to learn and participate in the everyday workings of a farm is awesome!

If you have read my earlier entries, you’ve read my future goals of becoming a Veterinarian and working in sustainable agriculture to help however I can with not only the food shortages in third world countries but also the quality of food in those countries. This if the formal start of my education explorations. My goals have included becoming a Veterinarian for as long as I can remember, but after going to Niger (West Africa) with the Peace Corp my professional goals took a turn.

Heifer International (http://www.heifer.org) has a wonderful philosophy of eliminating world hunger and it starts with a breeding pair of animals (or in some cases a colony). The breeding animals could be cattle, goats, pigs, guinea pigs, rabbits, etc. A pact is made that once those animals begin reproducing they give a breeding pair to a neighboring village or family, and so on. Each family or village is given not only a food source, but their helping to feed others as well.
The position is very competitively attained; many applicants from all over the country and one position. When I was told I was being offered the position I was on cloud nine (I’m still on cloud nine). Every aspect of this experience is exciting from learning something new to knowing this is the start of everything that is to come.

I plan on blogging about my experience…if you have questions, email me at michlvt@gmail.com. I hope you enjoy the experience alongside me…

No comments: