Friday, May 30, 2014

A Gardner’s Itinerary…

For the last three to four years I’ve had a garden at my home.  Not a huge one (especially in the standards of those farms that surround me), a 144 sq. ft., another area approximately half that size, a Topsy-Turvy® and a few ground pots.  This year I planted my seeds in trays to be started indoors on May 23rd, a little later than I would prefer however we have been staying a little cold.  My concern being when it’s time to plant, a good freeze finishes off the seedlings.  My set-up is a little archaic. I do not have anything fancy…no grow lights…no tiller…just soil, organic fertilizer and a few hand tools.

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 



My garden spaces were “hand tilled.”  I used a garden rake and a tool that I’m not sure its name.  I dug up the grass as if it was sod and then placed it in an area of the yard the grass was a little thin.  When I first did this three or four years ago I planned on buying a few more tools at some point.  Not having the average assortment of tools actually has helped me with another goal…something I’ll tell you about in a minute.

So, the exciting part!

My first seedlings, Mammoth Russian Sunflowers, peeped their beautiful heads yesterday, six days after I planted the seeds.   A bunching onion reared its little head yesterday as well, just a little later.  So, this is what I’m planting:  Mammoth Russian Sunflowers, California Wonder Sweet Peppers, Bloomsdale Long-Standing Spinach, Evergreen Long White Bunching Onions, Burpee’s Fordhook Zucchini’s, Connecticut Field Pumpkins, Jack O’ Lantern Pumpkins, Cherokee Purple Tomatoes and Box Car Willie Tomatoes.  I started enough seeds that would more than fill my garden spaces, so whatever I cannot use I am donating to the Free Soil United Methodist Church for their community garden.  I still have many herbs and flowers to plant in ground pots and flower beds, my gardening task for the upcoming week.


The tool with no name.
So I made a mention to how gardening is going to help me with future goals, well it starts with using tools just about anyone would have access to.  I’ll post a few photo’s so you know what I’m speaking of (it’s easier than saying “the tool with the name we shall not speak of”, since I do not know what their name is).  The culture of my country, the USA, tends to look at what we can accomplish by the way of high-tech gear.  If you do not have the best, than don’t even bother.  However, you would be amazed by what you can produce with 144 sq. ft. of soil, a few tools, organic fertilizer, seed trays and some seeds.

My goal has been to eventually work with an international organization (I.e. WHO, UN, etc…) on food securities within third world countries.  Although my expertise is with livestock, keep in mind I’m a Licensed Veterinary Technician (LVT), I knew years ago I needed to gain a better understanding of farming practices too.  I have volunteered and worked at a few farms (Overlook Farm of Heifer International of Rutland, Massachusetts and Pond Hill Farm in Harbor Springs, Michigan).  I learned so much from both places, it’s hard to put into words.  The need for understanding started while I was in the Peace Corp (Niger, West Africa).

If you have read my bio, I mentioned I was in the Peace Corp for a short time and had to return for knee surgery.  The brief time I was in Niger, I was staying in a village called Fandoga Beri and I had an amazing host Mother, Hisa.  I am forever grateful to her for what she has shown me.  Hisa, in her 50’s, showing me how to create a vegetable bed with two tools and she made it look like it was nothing.  This very strong woman was very patient and caring with me as I learned how to walk, taking my first steps on gardening using my bare hands.  Those moments were the foundation for the importance to understand farming in general, not just livestock.  (By the way, this nostalgia of my experiences in Niger with my wonderful host parents, Omarou Abdou and Hisa as well as my amazing host brothers and sisters will be chronicled later.)

So with each growing season in Northern Michigan I take part in, is a learning experience for me, something I hope to use when I am working for stronger food security internationally.  For now, I’ll take you periodically through my gardening odyssey in hopes that you see you do not need many tools or fancy gardening exploits to reap a reward from the earth.  Maybe my little entries were serve as a conduit for backyard gardening at its simplest.

  

No comments: